Thursday, December 18, 2008

Snow, Ice and Surgery

About a month ago my husband's Dr. informed us that Doug had a torn meniscus in his left knee which would require surgery to repair. He went under the knife Tuesday at 11:00 AM at the VA hospital in Columbia. Although it took him forever to wake up from the anesthesia (4 hours to be exact, and he wasn't very coherent then!) and he was throwing up all afternoon and night, everything went great! He's up and walking a bit now without his crutches and hopefully will be off them completely in about 2 weeks.

On the way back from Columbia in the midst of falling snow and ice we witnessed two wrecks! We heard a big "bang" behind us and turned around in time to see a big Ford truck hit the guard rail and end up in the left side ditch. Thank God, he didn't flip the truck and everything was fine. About 10 miles down the road, the truck in front of us lost control and slid into the ditch as well. Again, everything was fine and he drove on out of it! I was never so happy to get home in my entire life!

On the positive side of life finals are finished and I am on break until January 20! Thank you GOD! I have 2 semeseters left in undergrad and I must confess that I am extremely burnt out. I'm praying that the graduate program will be a breath of fresh air and I won't feel as though I'm drowning in a sea of homework. It's difficult keeping all my "duties" straight! Thankfully I have a very understanding husband who doesn't worry when I get my wires crossed and forget something. There are some husbands out there who demand that their wives be a wife first, a homemaker second and everything else comes afterwards if there is time (although coming from a full time employee, a full time + student, a wife and a homemaker I can tell you there is definitely not enough time). I am grateful that my husband is not one of those men. He's very understanding and more than willing to do the dishes or the laundry and cook dinner when I have a final to study for!!! What would I do without him?!

5 comments:

  1. Be sure you show your appreciation for such a wonderful man...there's not a lot of them out there. Black lace usually works pretty well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. *Puts hands over ears and closes eyes tight!* I did not read this, I did not read this, I did not read this.

    ReplyDelete